Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Trip to Colorado

I'm sitting here in Grand Junction waiting for my car to be fixed, I've been here about 48 hours now due to parts needing to ordered from Denver.
I thought I would write about the weekend before all this car drama started. A few weeks ago my friend Stephen committed suicide. This past weekend was the memorial, which was really good, he was such a great guy and his death is really tragic.

As sad as it was to have to know a friend died, it was great to see my remaining friends that I grew up with. When I was a growing up I lived in a neighborhood of mostly boys. We played a lot of sports and did a lot of fun crazy boy stuff. I moved away when I was 17 but a large part of who I became resulted from growing up with that neighborhood of boys.
My brother and I both commented on how we just felt, "at home". It was a really comfortable feeling being around our old friends. I haven't seen some of these guys for over ten years but after seeing them I felt like almost no time had passed. Up until last weekend I've never had any desire to go back and live in Colorado, but somehow this weekend changed that. Of course, all my friends all are married now and live all over the Denver area so really there is no way of recreating what we had growing up. I now realize I need to be grateful for what was there and that I got to grow up with such a good group of guys. It's just so sad that one of them had to die in order for us to reconnect.

No comments:

Post a Comment